RIT uses a layered approach to notify the campus community about emergency situations. Many are used so that community members will receive a notification by at least one of them.
IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATIONS - RIT Public Safety sends an initial immediate notification using RIT Alert if it is determined there is a significant emergency or dangerous situation that poses an immediate threat to the campus community.
FOLLOW-UP INFORMATION - Follow-up information after an immediate notification using RIT Message Center, RIT Facebook, RIT News Twitter, and www.rit.edu.
IMPORTANT NOTIFICATIONS - RIT Alert and the other channels of communication may be used for important notifications, but there is no immediate threat to the campus community. The channels of communication may vary depending on the situation.
Internal RIT Communication Methods:
- RIT Message Center: An emergency message is delivered via e-mail and to the MyRIT portal. The entire RIT community (students, faculty, staff) will receive emergency messages via e-mail.
- Social media: RITNews Twitter and RIT Facebook
- Web sites: http://emergency.rit.edu and www.rit.edu
- “Cancellation/emergency hotline”: (585) 475-7075
- RIT’s Main number: (585) 475-2411
- Voice Mail: A voice mail blast is sent to over 3,200 faculty and staff.
- Use of emergency calling trees
- Delivered written instructions and posted flyers
- Radio station WITR-FM (89.7)
- Campus Cable TV: RIT Production Services has the ability to pre-empt all cable channels on campus.
External Communication Methods:
- Students, faculty and staff are advised to stay tuned to Rochester-area media.
- Cancellation/closing information will be announced on the following television and radio stations:
- TV – 8 (WROC), 10 (WHEC), 13 (WHAM), FOX Rochester, TWC News
- AM – 1040, WHAM 1180 News Radio, 1240, Fox Sports 1280,1370
- FM – 89.1, 92.1, 92.5 WBEE, Fickle 93.3, 94.1 The Zone, Radio 95.1, 95.7 ESPN, 96.5 WCMF, 97.9 98PXY, 98.9 The Buzz, 100.5 The Drive, WARM 101.3, Sunny 102.3, 103.9 WDKX, Kiss 106.7, 107.3 The Bull